Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ideas on how best to configure 2 servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesMack

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
GB
I have inherited an NT4/Exchange 5.5 network with one server which is used as a file, mail and database server for 30 internal users and an external membership of 5000 who utilise our web services. Our websites are hosted externally but members log-ins are verified against data held locally. I have purchased a second server (they are both Dell Poweredge 1650 with loads of failover), and I have just ordered Win2k server, Exchange 2k and ISA server. I have seen and heard many ways to configure services and applications accross the 2 servers but wondered if anyone had any ideas, advice or experiences they could share?

Sorry , I'm interested in how best to configure the mail, file, email, database and ISA server functions across the 2 servers.
Both servers are multi-homed so maybe this will allow more possibilites.
Any help would be appreciated.

Not really, I want to know where the applications should reside.
Should I put exchange on the same server as ISA with the other server hosting the database and files.
I'm really trying to ascertain whether to go for load balancing or fault tolerance across the 2 servers and how best to configure with regard to security also.
Is this any clearer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back