Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ideal Operating System and more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlefish

Programmer
Nov 17, 2000
CA
I hate Windows, I hate unix, I hate every existing operating system. They make things too complicated. Why our computer is just like a TV, when we turn it on, it is on, we don't need to wait for the slow booting?

Ideal Operating System:
1. No need to boot.
2. Transparent to users, I don't want to see those garbage files under those system folders like \windows\.
3. No registry database, I hate this monster.
I have a lot of ideas about new generation operating system and new generation computer, but I can only dream of them...

i think you've just re-invented the pen and paper approach!!!!! :)

There already is an OS that boots very quickly, is self contained in only 3 files, uses very little system resources and has no registry. All applications are self contained. Learn a few commands and you're ready to go. It's called DOS.

The reason that Linux with a GUI is just as bad as Windows, is that there are a number of very complex problems that need to be solved to provide that kind of environment.

Can Windows (and Linux, Unix, etc...) be coded to run much more efficiently and be easier to maintain? Of Course! Can the OS of the original post be coded? I think not. Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

it was done on the commador but was killed when they went out of busness it was on a rom the entire gui and you could also get on a floppy but if you had the rom form it trun it on a second later you could work.

linux can be put on a floppy if you want it very fast

but an os that learn you and how you think is what he is asking for and that is a long way off 3001 perphaps So long and thanks for all the fish.

I think an ideal operation system could be reached one day. Operation systems like any type of computer software is going to be constantly evolving to new changes. New software will have to have the ability to modify itself to new stimuli, instead of doing a generic approximation.

Right now, lets take the Windows 95 operation system. Not to bad, for starters, has a good deal of bugs, but the major problems are in the details of how they implemented 32 bit or 16 bit code. The had to make the code generic for both DOS based 16 bit assembly code and also try to make the new 32 bit code work as well. By being generic, the could not focus on stability, security and they made a pretty crappy OS.

What we need is an operating system that can adapt to whatever environment it is in, so that it can be like a TV to one user, and a extremely complicated programming workstation to another, without making another Windows 9x operating system.

ackka
ackka@mad.scientist.com

As long as there are hundreds of software companies producing thousands of different titles and OS's there will never be an IDEAL OS. Innovation leads to changes in software or OS upgrades which in turn leads to incompatibilities and problems. Leave 1 company to produce all Hardware AND software and you will never run into Problems. (The IDEAL software solution??) Nope.

Without innovation and change we would not be where we are today. We would not have the Opportunities or the choices of Hardware and software. Life would be much more difficult if we did not have innovation, no Internet, PDA's and possibly even cheap PCs. I guess what I am getting at is if there was an Ideal OS that would interact with other OS's and All Software packages without problems, then innovation might be lost. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

lets be honest here, there will never be an operating system that everyone likes. we all have our views on MS/unix/linux & mac and we have those views because each have something to offer, except MS of course who just buy other companies products can re-brand them as their own.

at the end of the day, if it works, use it. if not, don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back