Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ideal Drives for Sun Multipack???

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbLA

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a Sun Multipack Model 711 (6 drive unit) that uses SCSI SCA 80 pin drives. It's an UltraSCSI version (as label on the door and on the internal parts of the unit.)

I know that there are several different kinds of SCA drives (LVD/Hot Swap/etc) out there. I'm assuming that any SCA drive will work, but putting a drive that can do 80MB/sec in a device that can only do 20MB/sec is a waste.

So, what drive would the best match to this multipack?

Thanks,

-r --
robb

the most reliable drive you can get your hands on? it may be a waste, but if you have a drive, and it will go in, and its a reliable make then the drive will step down happily and your system will be reliable.

I don't have any drives yet (I'm going to buy 7 -- 6 + 1 spare) and don't want to over spend.

-r --
robb

well from what i can see Seagate and IBM make the things, I'd personally choose IBM disks (we've had better reliability on them) but what you need to consider is getting 7 disks the same with the same size at a reasonable price ... thats all.

Hitachi are also named in the thing i found, but as i said i'd go with IBM if you can.

Any type of drive should do, as i said the Ultra160's should step down to UltraSCSI, i haven't met a SCSI device that didn't yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back