Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

idea of switching....

Status
Not open for further replies.

zed994

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
AU
Hey,

just a quick question...... im new to linux and i was just wondering what an effective idea or point of having multiple desktops is and what they do.

Thanks

alex

I like to have a few desktops and sort out my programs like this:

Desktop 1: Communication Email, browser window for surfing, Gaim (instant messaging client), xchat (irc client)

Desktop 2: Development many gnome terminals for working on code, browser window open to search through Tek-Tips, use Google, php.net website, etc

Desktop 3: Music xmms. 'nuff said ;-)

Desktop 4:root root terminal on the local box for doing quick admin stuff

I set them up side-by-side, then have my control+alt+left and right arrows switch me from one to the next. Works out well for me, helps with staying focused on a task.

----
JBR

To tab more quickly through the programs that are open, I'll also use Alt+Tab to go through open windows and Alt+Shift+Tab to go through desktops... so then I may keep all windows belonging to Netscape on a desktop, all windows belonging to emacs on a desktop...

I often use them to leace programs run for extended periods of time... If it's out of sight I won't accidently close it before screen-locking and heading for bed.

Most of the time... I don't use it at all... leaving the desktops there, but not have any programs on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back