Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE -Windows 'stuck'together 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan - Gendev

Programmer
Jan 9, 2011
AU
In my IDE the Command and Properties windows have become 'joined' and cannot be displayed in separate positions on the desktop.
I have to go to the menu and select which of the 2 windows to display each time.

How can I uncouple them please?

GenDev

gendev said:
I have to go to the menu and select which of the 2 windows to display each time.
No, there are tabs at the bottom to easily switch between them:

dockedwindows_nj4jfy.jpg

That's where you can also undock them by holding down the left mouse button on a tab and dragging it out.

Unless the windows are dockd in split mode, but then you'd see both, which you don't.

And right click on the titlebar or the tabs reveals the context menu, where you can undock them by unticking "Dockable"
dockcontext_bgkfuu.png

Same thing is available in the menu "Window":
windowsdockable_macc3p.png

The IDE Windows docking and undocking is also described in the help topic How to: Dock Windows.
And besides all that, your own Windows are dockable too, i.e. docking is a feature available to your own application, too.

Chriss

You might also consider the advantages of actually keeping the windows docked. In my setup, I have the Command, Properties, Document View and Data Sessions windows all docked together, using tab docking. I find this generally makes it easier to manage and locate the windows.

However, while this arrangement works well during development, it has the disadvantage that the windows remain open and visible when a program or form is running (in the IDE), which gets in the way. So I have the following code near the start of my main program:

Code:
DEACTIVATE WINDOW "Document View"
DEACTIVATE WINDOW "Properties"
DEACTIVATE WINDOW "Command"
DEACTIVATE WINDOW "View"

and this near the end:

Code:
* Reinstate docked IDE windows
IF WEXIST("View")
	ACTIVATE WINDOW "View"
ENDIF 	
IF WEXIST("Document View")