Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE Problem with multi-project solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkConsultant

Programmer
Dec 4, 2007
GB
Hi All,

I have a small issue that has built itself into a problem.

I have a solution that uses dozens of dlls which exist as projects on the same HD. If I need to debug a dll I usually add it to the solution, set it to debug, set a breakpoint in the solution where the dlls is called and upon running in debug mode the breakpoint is hit and I can F8 thru the code into and out of the dll's code.

Just lately I cannot do that the cursor jumps over the dll code (the dll code operates) but does not stop. I inevitably end up inserting msgbox's to force the code in the dll to break. This of course means rebuilding every time (pain in the a) and of course remembering to remove msgboxes (I have a story about that but youve probably done it yourself).

I have searched for this but the best solution seems to be re-install but I am loathe to do this. This is on my second dev PC that is running Vista Business.

Any ideas?

TIA

David

DarkConsultant

Live long and prosper \\//

I'm assuming these are written in VB are they?
Are the other dlls compiled to include debug info?

Ive had similar problem and the only way to correct is to close open files in main project, rebuild dlls to include messagebox to allow break, then keeping files loaded in main project rebuilt dlls without messagebox.

If the files change in the dll and the files in the main project do not match, breakpoints will not be met.

Hi Keyth,

Yah is all written in VB2005.

I think this is a big issue as quite a few folk seem to get problems with it.

I have now re-installed vb2005 (WHAT A JOB!!) and all is good again, I can add a class library to my solution and the breakpoints are hit again.

During my searches I found a lot of folk who live with this problem and resort to msgbox's every time.

This is my view of Hell.

Thanks for the reply Keyth, have a good weekend.

David

DarkConsultant

Live long and prosper \\//

Yeah hell exactly, maybe I need to re-install :(

I've noticed strange behavior like that and sometimes deleting the SUO file in the project will clear that up. I see it mainly debugging .Net code running from VB 6.0 but it won't hurt to delete the SUO file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back