Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE Hard drive not getting identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

dat

Technical User
Oct 20, 2000
CA
Hi Guys

Here is the situation I landed in to. Please give me some suggestions how to resolve the problem.

I wanted load windows 98 SE in a pc. Before loading I wanted to format hard drive ( this had windows 95 on it). So I was trying to boot from A drive. It didn't boot from floppy drive. So I wanted to change the boot sequence. I could not go in to Bios set up as it had password.
I did CMOS clearing with jumper on mother board. Password got cleared but now My hard drive is not getting identified.
Unfortunately There is no autodetect feature in this AMIBIOS 1995 . I tried to configure the hard drive manually by selcting user mode and entered Cylinders/HEads/sectors but it didn't help.

How to come out of this situation. Is there any utilites/shareware available to autodetect IDE harddrives?

Dat [sig][/sig]

When you manually configured your HD in CMOS, did you select LBA for your HD if it's larger than 528 MB?
Did you save the changes on the main menu before exiting CMOS? [sig][/sig]

Hi ski

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes I have selected LBA mode and also saved the CMOS changes before exiting.
But still my hard drive is not getting identified. Please note that the same hard drive was working ok with win 95 in the same pc. But problem started after CMOS clearing. [sig][/sig]

Are you sure you're entering the correct data for the HD?
[sig][/sig]

Have you got another computer available that you could use to ID. An auto ID bios should pick it up if it is an auto id hard drive. But be aware that some HDs won't auto ID and the only solution is to find the info, sometimes from a manufacturer's website. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

Hi
I am sure I am entering correct data as given on the hard disk . Today I tried the same hard disk in another system where auto ID is there. It worked in the other system . In bios it had set entirely different settings for cyl, heads when compRED TO WHAT WAS PRINTED ON hard disk. But it worked in another computer where auto id is there.
I entered same information in the problem computer. Again hard disk is not getting identified. I am sure I am entering correct data. Only three entries I am not sure what to enter.
Wpcom
PIO
32bit mode

I have selected on/off or auto for above settings but no use.

May be i am missing.
I think only option seems to upgrade bios.

thanks

dat [sig][/sig]

On the test computer you should be able to set up 3 different conditions for a drive, LBA (which usually halves the cylinders and doubles the sectors via sector mapping), large ( which enables bigger stuff) and normal. So you put the drive in and let it identify, then go to drive parameters and switch between the 3 types and document the settings for each. On your machine use the normal settings.
Do you have M/B documentation? If so you should be able to get your settings from there for unused parameters. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back