Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE Devices showing as SCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Maybe someone can help with this. I recently redid a Micron Pentium III 933Mhz system with a clean Windows 2000 install. I used all the discs that Micron provided for the drivers (a single cd-rom disc with video, sound, hd controller, nic, etc., all rolled into one). It loads them all at the same time. Upon completion, I noticed in the Device Manager that the cd-rom, the zip drive, and the hard drive are being identified as SCSI disk devices!! How can that be possible? There isn't a SCSI device anywhere near this system and I checked the hd controller and it is correct (the Intel Ultra ATA Controller, latest ver. for my motherboard). Any ideas what could be wrong? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!!

I've run across it with HP stuff using 98 and NT. Hardware detection in those machines identified the IDE parts as SCSI. It was limited to certain models using specific chip sets.
I suspect that you have the same type problem.
You might try loading an earlier OS on to see if it IDs correctly to verify that it is 2K hardware detection. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks for responding. I did some troubleshooting by doing an entire re-install and checked the Device Manager BEFORE loading the supplied driver disc. Win2K detected the devices fine. Sure enough, after running the supplied driver disc (check and verified that the disc is the correct ver.), the hd, cd-rom, and zip drive were all being described as SCSI devices. Called Micron and they gave me some drag about it being "normal" for Win2K to think devices are SCSI. That's sounds pretty stupid to me, especially since it didn't occur until AFTER I loaded their drivers. I've worked with Win2k for a few years now and have never seen that.

I'm glad I found your post as I thought I was going insane since no one else has ever heard of this. While I'm not using any devices from the manufacturers mentioned so far in the thread, I do believe it is a replaced atapi.sys driver that is causing the prob. Aside from the curiosity value, there were no apparent problems being caused by this.......until I tried to burn a cd with Nero. Nero could no longer id my IDE burner. My only and teporary fix so far was to download a demo ver. of NTI2000 which worked, but now it's about to expire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back