Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE devices not regonised in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorM

Technical User
Feb 25, 2006
GB
Hi all
any suggestion would be most appreciated with this.

I'got a Shuttle SB86i barebone, having real problems connecting my optical dive (DVD-RW) & 160GB HDD on the 1 IDE channel. If I connect one or the other at a time it seems fine but when I connect both, the BIOS doesn't regonise either.

What am I doing wrong? Is that no possible?

many thanks
BTW: my 1st Maxtor SATA HDD died on me.. got the IDE because initially it I thought it might be the SATA connectors on the box.. just as background

Make sure the jumpers are correctly positioned on each drive, i.e., Master for the HD and Slave for the DVD drive, and they're connected to the correct IDE cable locations, i.e., HD on the end connector and DVD drive on the middle connector.

If no luck, then try the CS(cable select) jumper postions.

If still no good, then install the DVD drive on the IDE 2 channel.

You may have a CS type cable, 80 connector, 1 broken connection between middle and end connectors.
If this is the type of cable you have, use either CS on both or master the hard drive on the end and slave the CD in the middle and blue connector to the M/B.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I appreciate your advice guys.. it turns out I made a very basic shoolboy error... the data cable on the DVD-RW was wrong way around..

my nick does say 'junior' so I gues you guys will forgive me.. LOL

many thanks again for the quick response..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back