Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ide controller problems! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono

MIS
Sep 8, 1999
DE
hi guys,<br>
i am building 2 PCs, one using a PC100-TXPro2 motherboard and the other using a jetway SuperTX-1000 motherboard, when i install windows 98 (version 1) or even windows 95 (ver2)on either machine - I get the infamous yellow exclamations next to my IDE controllers. I have tried installing the drivers that come with the motherboard(s), but when I reboot windows it says - found new hardware and asks for ide drivers? - i point to the new ones, which it accepts, but then the same conflict/problem comes up. I built a machine a month ago and ended up having to install windows NT to get around the problem!!! I can't do it on these machines (only have 95/98 licenses) - can anybody release me from this hell !!!?

If your IDE controllers are having problems with conflicts; simply highlight them, click on the &quot;properties&quot; button; click on the &quot;Resources&quot; tab & click on &quot;Configure Manually.&quot;<br>
Now; write down all of the data that appears; repeat process for other controller (it's helpful at this point if you scroll through the list and write down anything that comes up in the bottom box as a &quot;conflicting device&quot;)<br>
<br>
Now; just go through the devices that were listed in the &quot;conflicting devices&quot; box; click on &quot;Configure Manually&quot; and reassign them different, non-conflict causing properties for any properties that they are having clonflicts with other equipment on.<br>
<br>
<br>
Please let me know if this fixes your problem or not. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

thanks Robherc,<br>
this won't help - it doesnt actually have a 'conflict' it says that it is using 'ms-dos compatability mode'. It says there might be something causing this in the config.sys, but isnt specific. (All that is in there is a command for the cdrom drive). When i go into the resources tab it says there are no conflicts. There is a page on the Microsoft website that is dedicated to ide controller problems, but it is useless and doesnt help me one bit! any ideas?

Here's something that looks promising that I dug up from MS:<br>
<br>
If your computer contains a PCI-IDE hard disk controller that employs serialization between the two IDE channels, you may experience the following problems: <br>
<br>
32-bit file system access and 32-bit virtual memory are not available. <br>
Device Manager displays an exclamation point in a yellow circle for the primary and secondary IDE channels. <br>
Removing and reinstalling the hard disk controller does not resolve the problem.<br>
<br>
This can occur if the protected-mode driver for the hard disk controller was not properly initialized when you started Windows 98 previously. When this occurs, a NOIDE entry is placed in the registry, preventing Windows 98 from making future attempts to initialize the protected-mode driver.<br>
<br>
This problem can occur with an IDE controller that requires serialization between the primary and secondary IDE channels. The protected-mode drivers for these IDE controllers can fail to be initialized if one of the following situations occurs:<br>
<br>
One IDE channel has a supported hard disk, and the second channel has a CD-ROM or other type of drive that requires real-mode drivers to be loaded. Because of the serialization between the two IDE channels, it is impossible to access the hard disk in protected mode and use the other device in real mode. This causes the protected-mode driver to fail initialization, and the NOIDE switch is placed in the registry to prevent future errors. Both disk devices then operate in real-mode. <br>
The driver for the IDE controller is manually removed from Device Manager and then reinstalled, or the protected-mode driver is disabled and then re-enabled. Some PCI controller drivers are not designed for dynamic enabling and disabling, and can cause the protected-mode driver to fail initialization. <br>
To cause Windows 98 to attempt to reinitialize the protected-mode IDE driver, remove the NOIDE entry from the following registry key:<br>
<br>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS<br>
<br>
To remove the NOIDE entry from the registry:<br>
<br>
Select NOIDE.INF in the \Tools\MTSutil folder on the Windows 98 CD.<br>
<br>
Right-click NOIDE.INF<br>
-or-<br>
Hold down the SHIFT key and press F10.<br>
<br>
Choose INSTALL to remove the NOIDE entry. <br>
After you update the registry, restart Windows 98. Windows 98 will then attempt to initialize the protected-mode driver for the controller. If no problems are encountered, the file system and virtual memory will operate in 32-bit mode, and Device Manager will not display an exclamation point in a yellow circle for the IDE channels.<br>
<br>
If the protected-mode driver is not initialized properly, an error message will be displayed and the NOIDE registry entry will be recreated. Windows 98 will use the MS-DOS compatibility mode file system the next time you start the computer.<br>
<br>
The fix is the same for the Win95 system, except that the NOIDE.INF step is skipped.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.<br>
<br>
Dee

Jono-<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As a way of eliminating several possible culprits @ once; why don't you first try contacting your Hard Drive & CD-ROM drive manufacturers for their latest 32-bit drivers for our drives...after installing these; the problem <i>should</i> (8-9 times out of 10) be resolveable by going back through the BIOS settings & asserting the &quot;enable 32-bit I/O&quot; on each IDE device, then re-installing Windoze (just for good measure).<br>
<br>
Let me know if this doesn't work & we'll roll out the <i><b><u>BIG GUNS</i></b></u> (hasta-la-Vista BUGWARE!!!) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

thanks guys for the replies.<br>
i've just wasted another couple of days (since my last post) trying to get one of these little f**kers to work.<br>
sorry about the language, but i havent done any xmas shopping yet because i've promised my mates girlfriend that she'll have a nice new pc in time for xmas.....aaaagggghh!<br>
anyway, thanks deeski, but its a case of been there, done it, didnt work - there was no NOIDE entry in the registry.<br>
Robherc, thanks again, but last night i took my girlfriends machine (running 98 with no problems) took her hard drive out, formatted it (she doesnt know yet), took her cd rom, installed them both onto the jetway board. installed 98 - no luck! tried them on the TXPro - no luck - put them back on hers - fine and dandy!!!!!! <br>
could i really have 2 bad motherboards ????????<br>
<br>

Did you try setting the BIOSs to allow 32-bit I/O? This may seem small; but it really could be the root of the whole terrible problem (just a suggestion....to get any more specific I'd almost have to be there looking @ the boxes. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

happy new millenium to all my respondees!!!!!!!!!!<br>
I HAVE SOLVED my problem!<br>
i was formatting the HD using format c:/s then installing the cd rom driver and from there installing win98.<br>
this was the root of the problem. <br>
because the driver was msdos, these two motherboards couldnt handle it.<br>
i formatted the HDs without the /s for system files.<br>
I then booted from the windows 98 cdrom and installed windows. No more msdos compatability mode!<br>
i actually found it by accident - i switched a machine on and had left the cdrom in. When it asked if i wanted to boot from HD or CD the grey skies turned blue, birds sung, bells rang, whistles blew, bulbs flashed and Jono lived happily ever after.<br>
thank you for your time guys. especially Robherc!<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back