Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE channel not finding my devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont have cd/dvd roms on same chl as harddisk
it slows it down most of the times .
Dont mix cable select strapping with master/slave strapping.

Go over your device strapping one more time (single/master/slave)

wp,
make sure that both channels are enabled in bios. if that don't work you may have a dead ide channel two like I did on a chaintech mainboard. I bought a pci ide controler and disabled ide channels in bios and everthing works ok now.

Hope this helps.

papaw16

You may have unplugged the ribbon cable accidently from the mobo when you added the DVD drive. As has been said , don't put it on the same cable as your hard drive. Put it on the secondary IDE channel.

Jim

WP:

Let's clear a few things up here.

First of all, newer systems that are less than 4 years old don't have any problems sharing IDE channels with other devices, as long as both devices are ATA compatible (you know, like ATA 33/66/100). Especially if you have Windows XP, you can see what I'm talking about. If two devices running at different speeds are detected on the same channel, the OS knows to separate the two so that they can run at their individual speeds.

For example, on one of my systems there is a CDROM sharing the secondary channel with a hard drive. The HD runs at ATA 100 while the CDROM runs at ATA 33 (this is stated in XP). What used to be true 5 or 6 years ago is now just an old wives' tale about one device slowing down the other. Not true anymore.

The only thing you need to be concerned about is jumper settings. It appears that you have a conflicting setting. On the back of each device next to where the IDE cable plugs in, there will be three settings: Master, Slave, and Cable Select (sometimes abbreviated MA, SA, and CS respectively). You need to refer to the manual that came with your new DVD drive to see a diagram. Basically when working on the same IDE channel, you need to have one set as Master and the other set as Slave, or you can have both set to Cable Select.

Hopefully that works out for you...
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Well cdogg ,two devices share the bandwith
making less badwith availible e.g when you burn a cd from the harddisk at the same ide .It's faster if they are on separate .
[openup]
That's my opinion.

That's very true. They must share the bandwidth, and I would never be caught dead with my burner on the same channel as my primary hard drive.

I was responding in general to your comment:
[blue]Dont have cd/dvd roms on same chl as harddisk[/blue]

You didn't specifically state "burner". Plus my post was only directed towards WP, not meant to single anyone else out. I also didn't want other readers that stumble across this thread in the future to think mixing CD/DVD drives with hard drives is always a bad thing. I can't tell you how often someone tries to say it is...

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

I guess it's upto how you use the devices in your rig .
I agree .
Have you noticed that WD hasn't made a single reply yet.
Maybe he solved it . And we are just replying into the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back