Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE CD ROM NOT DETECTED

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterkix

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2002
PH
I am installing SCO UNIX 5.05 on a PROLIANT 3000.
It has 2 enbedded scsi controller. one for the scsi disks and one for the 20-40 DAT TAPE drive.
The problem is it detecs the ide cdrom as scsi cdrom. what should i do???

just treat it as one.

it uses the "wd" western digital host adapter.
adapter 0 if the cdrom is on the primary ide channel
adapter 1 if the cdrom is on the secondary ide channel

then the id is 0 or 1 if it is the master or slave.

although i thought sco's openserver 5.0.5 identified the ide channel properly, there are some boot prompt options that you can use if it is still giving you problems

.I am installing SCO UNIX 5.05 on a PROLIANT 3000.

It has 2 enbedded scsi controller. one for the scsi disks and one for the 20/40 DAT TAPE drive.
The problem is it detects the ide cdrom as scsi cdrom. And then It cannot read anymore from the installation media, which is the cd-rom.When I choose the installation media as an IDE cdrom, it cannot read too from the installation media.

I need the machine to run ASAP.
Your response would be greatly appreciated.

What exactly is the error message you are getting?

Is there only 16 or 32 MB of ram in the machine?
If so see the following

---------
Please Wait while additional files are extracted
from media source.

Extracting files...

Reading from Install Source:
10KB/ramFS/extractProd/extractAll

terminated by signal 8

Press to continue

SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 installs on the same system without a problem.

Cause
The SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 installation routine requires more RAM than in previous releases. Furthermore, the above symptoms are more likely to occur when actually booting from the OpenServer CD-ROM.

Solution
Start the installation again from the beginning and enter the following at the Boot: prompt:

defbootstr nbuf=100

This has the effect of temporarily reducing the size of the buffer cache, resulting in more room for installation processes.

To my knowledge SCO Openserver 5.0.5 starts up from cdrom at install. So when it detects the cdrom as SCSI, change it to IDE (press space) and if appropriete choose master ( again with space). If i am wrong get hold of a 5.0.6 version (this will boot from cdrom) and change the cdrom with the 5.0.5 version after the devices have been detected.
Keep in mind that some BTLD drivers might be reloaded with btldinstall.

Regards, wjterst

thanks for all your help, the support from compaq has fixed the error.

I just set the jumper settings of the ide cdrom to master.
And thats it it was installed succesfully without any errors.

Again thank you to all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back