Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jldipert

Technical User
Sep 10, 2003
US
I would like to add a 3rd HD to my machine. is there cabling that will allow me to do this or do I have to go external to accomplish this? WOuld really like to do the same with my ATAPI CD/DVD drives - add a 3rd drive. is this possible?

You can stay internal if you have the bays to accomodate them but you will need an additional controller. Some here have said Promise has worked out well for them.
But you also need I/O slot to fit it. And your power may be on the low side for additional.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Given that you have enough space to physically mount an extra CDrom device and Hard drive, and you have sufficient power for the extra devices, then all you need is an add on IDE controller card.
Make sure it's bootable (if you want to be able to boot from a drive connected to this card) a Raid controller card is also an option but two or more identical Hard drives are recommended.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I hve the space and a while ago I replaced my old power supply with a newer model pushing 450 watts. do you think that 450 watts would be enough for 6 IDE devices + the rest of the machine power demands (3 ATA 100 HD's + 3 CD / DVD devices) Thanks for the advise

Probably. But you have to do the calculations. Was the previous sufficient for what you were using, how much extra did you gain with the swap, what have you added and how much is left? And how it that divided up, with the probable critical one being the +12?

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

jldipert, you want to add a 3rd hdd to a system with 5 IDE devices already. We don't know how those devices are controlled in the first place. Without knowing, we can suggest things like:

But 5 devices implies three 2-channel controllers, and the resources for each card implies that adding another would be asking for trouble.

There are other things that don't use those resources, like USB external hdd carriers (they seem pretty cheap ... check out the site).

Let me start anew. The machine currently has 4 IDE devices. 2 HD's on controller IDE 1 & 2 CD's on controller IDE2. Both IDE controller 1 & 2 are on the motherboard. I would like to add an additional HD & DVD-r (I'm doing research on hte best style of DVD burner and haven't made up my mind yet) I'm not sure of the DVD-r but I do want to add a DVD burner. There is a 450 watt power supply. The machine is running Windows XP Pro. It has a P4 processor running at 2.4Ghz with a 1GB of RAM. I hope this clears things up a little more.

As I understand it I will probably have to add a controller card and I do have an empty PCI slot and would rather keep all devices internal. Will adding a HD and DVD on the same card cause problems? If there is an ideal way to configure these devices I'm sure listening.

I hope this helps understand how the machine is currently laid out and what I would like to do. Thanks to everyone for their advise. I would rather take another week talking about it and doing research and getting things completely straightened out than to jump in and pay for it for the next 6 months. Jim

Hi,

psu : seems enough. Though, the global 450 watts of your actually are divided into several tensions (volts). So maybe your psu gives about 50W in 3.3V, and 250 in 12V, plus 150 in other tensions. Each family of connected devices uses a specific voltage. Cpu's use 3.3V. That's what edfair means by 12+ : 12V is the voltage used by your disks.

About hd + dvd on the same card, no problem. Usually, pci controller cards give you 2 more ide slots (ide-2 and ide-3), so you can connect up to 4 new devices (2 slots x 2 drives per cable). I think you'll have no problem even connecting both your new drives on the same ide slot (cable). Just pay attention to use a 80 pin parrallel cable for the 3rd hd.

Cheers,

Grunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back