Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibpooh

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
US
I have Windows XP and need to know how to install IDE cables to two drives. (CD ROM and CDRW) At the present time I have one cable connected to both and can't use the CD ROM and CDRW at the same time. Also, will XP automatically recognize the drives upon reboot or will I have to do a setup. If so, please explain how to do setup. I hope I'm not asking too much. Thanks!!

XP will find and activate the drives fine.
Also, there should be no problem wih the drives working at the same time.
I assume you have the drive at the end of the cable set to master and the one connected in the middle as slave?
Cable select may also work, mostly depends on your mother board/bios.

I have set many pc's up with 2 cdrom drives, be it one cdrw and a regular cdrom drive or 2 cdrom drives, or even 1 cdrw and a dvd drive. As long as one is master and one is slave and they are set on the cables that way, there should be no problems..

[cheers]

You also might have to change the jumper settings on the back of the drives. There should be a diagram there for which setting is for which purpose (master or slave).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back