Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDD V6 and Asset Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevess

Technical User
Jun 10, 2002
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to resolve a process issue for a client regarding IDD and Asset Tags.

Each piece of equipment has a bar code tag attached. The Client wants to use this a the Unique key for the Asset.

Unfortunately, this info is captured by the questionnaire/Mask when they logon and we are reliant on them typing this info in correctly - this doesn't happen.

Is there a way we can force IDD / the Scanner to search a file on the PC where we can state this info so the user doesn't have to enter it.

I see that an Asset.bat file created but is over written by the scanner when it runs.

Any ideas on this solution or a solution that one of you have used.

Regards.

Steve

The problem may be fixed, if you use a picklist within the IDD scanner. These data should be generated out of AC, to ensure that the ID is correct. Then change in the field in your scanner to picklist and select the file with the IDs.
This solution should work.

The problem may be fixed, if you use a picklist within the IDD scanner. These data should be generated out of AC, to ensure that the ID is correct. Then change the ID field in your scanner to picklist and select the file with the IDs.
This solution should work.

You can define the Asset Number field as a File Extract field. This allows you to specify any file in the system as the source of the asset number.

Other options include using an environment variable, a registry key, pointing to the BIOS' asset tag (usually stored in SMBIOS), etc.

I hope this helps,
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back