Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ID3 tag-reader for my site

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchnix

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2007
US
I'm looking for a piece of code or a script to drop into my site that will fetch / read the id3 tags off my mp3s in a specified folder and arrange the list in a table-like format - with links to click and play / download.

Ever heard of that?

This is the Content Management System forum.
What CMS are you using?

Whilst it is possible to write a script to grab ID3 tags from MP3 files it can be tricky as, if I recall correctly, they can be written in different ways.

I remember writing an MP3 player in Flash and wanted to grab the song information from the MP3 files. Some files had the info at the start, some at the end. So it would be necessary to read the entire file into memory in order to pull the info needed. This was deemed impractical at the time for reasons I won't go into here.

So, if you were running this on a website it might be a bit slow and/or require some heavy memory usage to grab the info from the files.

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back