Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ID number field for max date of customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpereira

Programmer
Jun 29, 2000
US
Bear with me on this. I am having a brain freeze and can't move forward with this one. I have a table something like this:

IDField SaleDate CustomerID
1 1/1/08 552
2 4/3/07 552
3 12/1/07 552
4 4/3/08 444
5 6/3/07 444
6 2/4/08 444

I need to produce a query to find the IDField number for the latest SaleDate of a customer. In the above sample I would want the result to be:

So customer number 552 had the last sale date on 1/1/08 and customer 444 had his last sale on 4/3/08.

Obviously something like select max(SaleDate) isn't the option. Should I use an IN statement?

Help@!!!!!

Try:

Code:
select A.IDField
from Table A
INNER JOIN
   (Select CustomerID, Max(SaleDate) as MaxDate
    from Table
    group by CustomerID
) B on A.IDField = B.IDField AND
  A.SaleDate = B.MaxDate

i'm having the same exact problem. I set up a test table as per kpereira's post, but I can't seem to get jbenson's code to work right.

This part of the code yields records 1 and 4 as above, only it does not show the IDField:

Code:
SELECT     CustomerID, MAX(SaleDate) AS MaxDate
FROM         tblA AS B
GROUP BY CustomerID

The question remains, how does one factor in the IDField? Everything I try just ends up showing the entire recordset again. I've tried using derived tables to no avail.

There must be a way, and it's probably using derived tables, but what is the concept I am missing here?

here's something that seems to work:

Code:
SELECT     IDField, SaleDate, CustomerID
FROM         tblA AS T
WHERE     (SaleDate IN
                          (SELECT     MAX(SaleDate) AS MaxDate
                            FROM          tblA AS T1
                            GROUP BY CustomerID))

this is an old one, is it still active??

i would take the approach of the select subquery and not using MAX (i'm not a fan of functions sometimes when the code is just as easy!!!)

SELECT DISTINCT CustomerID,
(SELECT TOP 1 B.SaleDate
FROM dbo.tblA AS B
WHERE (A.CustomerID= B.CustomerID)
ORDER BY SaleDate DESC) AS LatestDate
FROM dbo.tblA AS A

Haven't tested, not sure if its better or just different!!!

cheers

daveJam

even my shrink says its all your f#@/ing fault

yes, it's an old one, but still relevant! Fortunately, I ran across this whilst googling.

Your approach does seem to work fine. Using top 1 and a SELECT statement within in the SELECT clause

Thank you for posting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back