Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ICS with a Wireless Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlfpackr

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2003
US
A client wants to install a wireless network, but at the same time share a single dial up account. But there's a problem....

I'm using a Linksys WAP Router w/4-Port Switch (Model BEFW11S4) with Linksys Wireless USB adapters. The router wants to use DHCP to assign IP addresses to all of the computers. However, when I set up ICS in Windows XP it also wants to assign it's own set of IP addresses to each computer. Is there a workaround without buying 3rd party software? If not, what's the best/cheapest route to go, and unfortunately broadband is not an option!

Whoa, the customer wants to share a dialup connection over a wireless connection? its not going to be worth it, its going to be waaaayyy to slow.

"Did you ever wish a circle was a square, so when land sharks start circling the boarders you can just cut them off at the corners?" - Aesop Rock

whatever - the connection will be 56k shared between x simultaneous connections. it being wireless won't slow it down particularly. it may suit the client's purpose.

ICS has to supply the IPs. Windows isn't sophisticated enough to cope otherwise ;)

the answer: turn off DHCP on the Wireless router - there may also be an Access point only mode (you're effectively using the router purely as a switch / access point). most wireless routers support DHCP passthrough (I'm sure Linksys do).

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back