Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ICS Technical Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

droze22

Technical User
Dec 13, 2003
US
OK

I have dsl using PPPOE connection with the public IP, that internet connection should bind with the nic that I am running in to a XP pro box with the address of 192.168.0.1, then I am comming out of a second nic to the Linksys router, I have assigned the linksys router a 192.168.0.2 address. I am trying to share the nic with the 192.168.0.1 address, but I am getting the limited or no conectivity deal, I can surf the internet with the XP pro box but anything attached to the router I get nothing, no services what so ever. So basically what I am trying to do is use the xp box inplace of the router and need it to hand out address ( DHCP ), I need to do this for a printer issue, I could by a router that would do this but I dont want to spend 1500 bucks to do this. NEED HELP

THX ahead of time

1500 bucks? You can get gateway routers with in-built DHCP for as little as 60-80 bucks!

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Hmmm - excuse me but I'm a bit confused here. You need to explain more clearly, both what you are attempting to achieve & what the configuration currently is.

Assuming however that you have the Internet via a DSL modem on one NIC and the Linksys on a second NIC. I am prompted to ask:-

Why can't you connect the Internet to the Linksys direct and only use one NIC on the PC?

While I wait for your reply I can give you a few hints.

You can't have more than 1 NIC in a PC on a given network.
You can't have more than 1 DHCP server in a network without issues arising.

So - you need to do the following.

Assuming NIC #1 (the Internet NIC) is on 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0 then the Linksys needs to be 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0 (say)
Set NIC #2 to be 192.168.100.2 255.255.255.0
Set the Linksys to be a DHCP server
Set the Linksys to use 192.168.100.2 as the default gateway.
In Control Panel, Network connection, select both NIC's and right click and select 'bridge connection'

That might achieve your aim, but as I said, please post back more details.

Just to be difficult; but stduc, there is no reason you couldn't have two NICs in a PC on a given network. As I type from this computer, it has two NICs in it, on the same network.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Grenage - OK - so I was being over simplistic. perhaps you would care to disclose the IP address's you are using on your NIC's and why you have 2?

I have a DSL connection, the connection goes from the modem to a XP pro workstation , I have enabled internet connection sharing, there is no connectivity from the internal side NIC 2 to the internet. my problem is from the DSL to NIC 1. Everything that is attached to the linksys router I can see up to the linksys router, but I can not see past the router. the xp pro workstation can see the internet. I am using the linksys router as aswitch and wireless access point.

You cannot use a router with DHCP enabled in combination with ICS.

ICS must be the only DHCP server. Must be.

Disable DHCP server services on the Linksys Router.

Let ICS assign IP and Gateway information on your XP Desktop, do not do this manually.

Connect from NIC #2 to the Uplink port on the Linksys.

The Gateway address is the first NIC on the XP Desktop, it is not the Linksys. ICS should handle that for you.

I am assuming all of this is because the ADSL modem has a USB port, or is internal.

See the following parallel example. It is for a sattelite connection. Ignore that point. The article give a carefull step-by-step explanation of using ICS and a router:

The adsl modem is connected through a rj45 connection

I gotta ask, you have a Router and you have an external DSL modem that connects through a rj45 plug(ethernet cable):

Why do you insist on using ICS from Windows when you can just plug the DSL modem into the router and configure it.
Its a lot simpler than going through ICS, and its what the router is meant to accomplish.

Then just plug all machines into router, let the Router give out IP settings and your set.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

It is a terminal services printer issue. currently it is setup to use 1 printer on the network, now I have to add another but with the current setup I can only setup a port for 1 printer and not 2, ics will let me change the configuration to use 2 printers, but I am having this little problem.

What is limiting the ports?
Just install the printer and Windows should create the port for it automatically. I've never heard of requiring ICS to install a second printer. If that were the case than no company in the world would have more than one printer on their networks, which is obviously not the case.

If you mean you have no more physical rj45 ports to connect the printer to on the router, than you could just plug in the printer to a PC and share it. Or rather than using ICS just bridge the network NIC's , Right clicking one of the network connections should show you the option to Bridge.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back