Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ICS - connection sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Jan 17, 2002
US
Good Morning

Last week I had some flavor/form of ICS running on my gatway PC(win 2000 pro) that worked. Then I setup a VPN server for testing on this box, which went fine, but now I can't get it back to being a good ICS/gateway box. Frankly, I am not sure it was ever setup with ICS proper since I had the local PCs using static IPs. So, my questions are:

1. Does anyone know where I can find the ICS wizard?
2. Could messing with VPN and the assoc. Routing and RAS stuff be part of the problem?

Again, it seems like it never had ICS truly setup, but that clients were able to talk over the gateway PC and still have static IPs. That makes me think of routing tools. From what I remember I had tried to keep these static since it was the only way to let the local PCs see each other for windows neworking and actually setting the same subnet mask. :)

Thanks for any ideas and best regards!
Richard

ICS probably was set up OK, you either had it using NAT or proxy. NAT is known as ICS within windows (god knows why)

If you set up an Internet connection on your Win2k machine, you can go into it's properties ('Network and Dial-up connections' from the control panel) and find the 'sharing' tab. the rest is fairly straight forward.

This doesn't seem to work for network connections (ie Network Cards)

Alternatively use something like AnalogX proxy (free from which I found worked first time and very well.

hth

Tels

Mixed Linux/Win2000 Network Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back