Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ICS and DHCP?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredthensomenumbers

Technical User
Sep 20, 2003
GB
Hi

I have a network set up at my workplace, where I have 2 Servers. one is my ICS server, and the other has DHCP and DNS. Before, i only had the ICS server, and all was working fine. However, now that I have the new server with DHCP and DNS, i can not seem to acess the Internet from any of my client computers!!!! My ICS server has WIN2K Pro, and my other server has WIN2K Server. All my clients have WIN2K Pro, with IPs set to "obtain automatically". The DHCP has a scope that gives out leases to the clients from IP 192.168.0.3-192.168.0.20, as my ICS server is set statically to 192.168.0.1 and my other DHCP/DNS server is set to 192.168.0.2. What am i doing wrong?

Any help would be very grateful.

Cheers

You cannot use ICS and DHCP on the same network. ICS runs a "baby" version of DHCP itself. When you enable DHCP, you cause a conflict. Either use DHCP on one server and enable RRAS for network routing, or turn off DHCP and use only ICS....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Matt is correct. You could do this with 2 dhcp servers, but not with the setup you've got. Since you had everything working before, I'd go with Matt's awnser, and just turn off the dhcp service. All else will work. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"I only know that I know nothing."
Socrates (47-399 BC); Greek philosopher

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Thanks alot. One last question, can RRAS be set up as a router (for the internet connection) on the same server as the DHCP server? i.e. so that you don't have to have 2 servers. Thanks again. You've been a great help!

It sounds like what you want to do is setup a vpn, correct? Are you wanting incoming and outgoing connections?

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"I only know that I know nothing."
Socrates (47-399 BC); Greek philosopher

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Yes RRAS can be setup on the same server as DHCP. Are you wanting to do this for VPN, as Glen suggests, or for Windows network routing? Or both?

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Matt is right, i want both a VPN server and for NAT. But if that is not possible, just for NAT. SO can, DHCP be on these servers as well?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back