Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Icons plus everything missing from desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Feb 19, 2001
US
Hello, i am using windows XP pro service pack 1 and my pc was working just fine until recently. When my computer goes into windows there are no icons, taskbar, absolutely nothing! just the background screen, but my mouse pointer still works weird. I tried to repair my windows and it work for awhile until 3 reboots, now the same problem over again. Does anybody have any clues, before i format my drive. Thanks

You have some sort of malware. Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager, File, New Task, explorer.exe.

Then see:

faq608-4650

Between an update of your antivirus software, and the tools recommended in the FAQ above you should be able to straighten out the problem.

Look closely at my recommendations to use at least two antivirus scans from smah's FAQ, I like Trend Micro and Panda: faq760-3862

Try using Safe Mode or the Run Box via Task Manager(ctrl+shift+esc or ctrl+alt+del) and see if you have access to programs.

Check your machine for Spyware.

Spybot

Ad-aware

Hijack This.

Maybe a corrupt user profile is causing this.

811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

Windows Cannot Load Your Profile Because It May Be Corrupted (Q318011)

Desktop missing!
thread779-613953

windows xp, no desktop
thread779-625179

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back