Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Icons on all users desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2003
US
I'm trying to get an shortcut icon to be available on the all users desktop on an NT4 workstation with service pack 6.

I copy the shortcut into the c:\winnt\profiles\all users\desktop

When i log in as any user the icon is not available. I checked the properties and it's not hidden.

any ideas

try the:

c:\winnt\profiles\default user\desktop

What about security (have you give 'Everyone' permissions to it)?

(Stiddy - Default User profile no good - that's just used as a template to create new user profiles).

Try:

c:\winnt\profiles\%username%\desktop

This should copy the shortcut to the users Desktop directory using the %username% set variable.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Do you mean to copy the shortcut into every individual profile?

or

Copy the shortcut to c:\winnt\profiles\%username%\desktop

I've tried that using the following

copy c:\TS client.lnk M:\winnt\profiles\%username%\desktop

(TS Client.lnk is the shortcut i'm having probs with)
(M:\ is the drive path on the PC)

i get an error saying The system cannot find the file specified.

If there is a space between TS and Client, you will have to format your command like:

copy "c:\TS client.lnk" M:\winnt\profiles\%username%\desktop

OK, did that but the file only copies to the user profile who is logged in.

thats why you put it in the
winnt\profiles\default user\desktop

profile, then everyone will have the icon

Try the following:

copy "c:\TS client.lnk" "M:\winnt\profiles\all users\desktop\TS Client.lnk"

i guess if you copy the icon into Default users, they still won't see the icon unless you recreate their profile. The quotes are important due to the long filenames.

Stiddy - did you read my previous post about default user. Have you TRIED doing what you suggest. You are just confusing the issue here - changing default user has no effect on existing users at all (All users does).

StevenJohnston - has everyone got access to app shortcut is too? Has shortcut got system file attribute set? If so, do users have settings to allow them to see such files. Can Administrators see this shortcut.

Everyone has access to the program this shortcut is pointing to. It is not set as a system file. This is the first time i've seen anything like it. For the time being i've copied the file manually into all the user profile desktops (20 or so)

I'll post an update if i find a fix.

Steve

This definitely seems a permissions issue. Does everyone have full access to the all users profile? Can a normal user see the 'all user' section of the start menu (admin tools etc)?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back