Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Icons in Microsoft Word Comboboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbiescooby

Technical User
Dec 5, 2006
NZ
Hi ya'll

is there any way that i can have a combobox of icons in a microsoft word document?

thanks

Both formfield dropdowns (Forms toolbar) and ActiveX comboboxes (Controls toolbar) take only strings as items. Text, not graphics.

Gerry

Can you do that natively in Word? I do not think so.

Gerry

thanks guys. Flex/AIR is great, but for this problem i'm constrained to using microsoft word as i want to save the user selection within the document and the people using this function want this in microsoft word.

Do you guys have any idea if there are any native image selection widgets, etc? Or alternatively if you can embed a flex widget into a word document?

is there any way that i can have a combobox of icons in a microsoft word document?

Just curious - why do this on a report? Anyway, in forms I use a combobox of titles that reference a link to image files, then populate an image control recordsource with the link so the picture pops up. Would this work for you?

The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch, and a user with an idea.

Anyway, in forms I use a combobox of titles that reference a link to image files, then populate an image control recordsource with the link so the picture pops up. Would this work for you?
My bolding.

Would that not just put ONE image in the image control? Yes, you could select which one, but AFAIK an image control contains one, and only one, actual image (in the .Picture property).

The OP wishes to display a dropdown of multiple images (wee .ico files I suppose. Although they could, I guess, be any format.).

Gerry

The OP wishes to display a dropdown of multiple images

That's what I thought. This is a dropdown of image titles, with the image selected displayed in the image control.

Oh well. Still wonder why you would do this on a report, though...

The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch, and a user with an idea.

Well I suppose it could be an option: a listing of titles which displays the selected one in another control.

But it sure is not the same as a dropdown of actual images.

In any case, I have to agree about the why. I am wondering why myself. Seems an odd thing. Although in some ways, maybe no so odd. We put images (.ico or .jpg) in menu items.

Which of course could be another option. Put a new menu on a toolbar, and have sub-items the .ico/.jpg wee images.

Not quite a dropdown, but at least it could be done natively, easily.

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back