Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Icons for foxuser.dbf & .fpt on desktop???

Status
Not open for further replies.

peobody

Technical User
Sep 5, 2001
US
Something strange started happening this week... Icons for FOXUSER.DBF and FOXUSER.FPT reappear on my desktop. This has started since I created a database for use in a mail merge with Word97. I've seen these files in C:\ but this is the first time they've shown up in C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP. I don't understand where they come from or why they reappear after deletion. Any ideas how I can get rid of them would be appreciated? Foxpro is v2.6 for Windows, OS is Win98SE.

peobody

HI

When foxpro2.6 starts running, FoxUser.DBF is autocreated. If the default directory happens to be :\WINDOWS\DESKTOP, the foxuser.dbf created by foxpro2.6 starts appearing on the screen.
RESOLUTION:...Right click on the Icon related to this application or FoxPro.. click on the properties and in the resulting window.. you can see the working directory.. Change this to the place where your application is located. Note that the application shall be located NOT IN DESKTOP directoy. Then this will not REAPPEAR.

Hope this helps you :) ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Thanks but that doesn't seem to be it. I can't find any icons or startup menu items with the working directory set to C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP. I did have to install the most current Microsoft Data Access Components for the mail merge to work. This was the first time I've done a mail merge with the data file being a Foxpro file so I'm clueless. What's strange is that I deleted the icons yesterday but they showed back up when I restarted this morning. The only Foxpro activity in between has been our accounting program. It's icons won't work without the working directory pointing to the accounting program files so I know that's not it. Does MDAC invoke Foxpro in order to merge the data in to the Word doc? This makes sense as I would expect it would use the current directory. Anyone have any other ideas?

peobody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back