Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

icon won't delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

1andonly

Technical User
Dec 9, 2002
US
I have a icon that looks as if it did'nt fully open, not sure what it is ,cant right click it to delete,or drag an drop it to get rid of it.Thanks in advance for any replies

If you're using Win 98 and the icon appeared on the Desktop less than 4 days ago, then
restart in MS-DOS, at the C:\> prompt type scanreg /restore, press Enter, select a Registry that's dated before the icon appeared, and press Enter.
Or do a system restore if you're using Win ME or XP.
(Note: All applications and updates that were installed after the date of the restored Registry or after the restore date will have to be reinstalled).

If the icon appeared more than 4 days ago, then start in Safe mode, and try deleting it from there.

If that does not work, then right click on the icon, click Properties/General, write down the file's MS-DOS name(Ex.- MYDOCU~1.lnk for the My Documents icon), insert a Windows boot floppy, restart, select 'Start without CD-ROM support', press Enter, at the A:\> prompt type the following and press Enter after each line is typed:
c:
cd windows
cd desktop
deltree "file's MS-DOS name" (without the ")

To return to Windows, remove the floppy, type c: at the A:\> prompt, press Enter, type win, and press Enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back