Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Icon cache 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistrol

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2011
US
All my icons in the startup menu and task bar are displaying has IE icons. How do I reset them back to their original icon display names? thanks,

If they are all changed to IE icons, that sounds rather suspicious. You may have a bigger issue at hand than just messed up icons. I'd suggest at least downloading Malwarebytes Antimalware, and running a full scan. If it finds anything, remove it, reboot, and scan again.

If things seem back to normal by then, then at least make sure your AV program is up to date, and run a full scan with it. Maybe consider an alternative AV program. Maybe Avira Antivir might be worth looking at in this case.

And another idea after all that is to look at some general all in one / cleaner type tools. I personally use and highly suggest CCleaner and Glary Utilities. I use both. Both of them have many useful features. Glary may have a built-in method for rebuilding your icon cache as well, but I forget. Also, it seems to me that there is a way directly in Windows to refresh the icon cache, but I think you need to check for malware before even concerning yourself with the icons issue.

So take a look at the malware side of things, and post back with your results there.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

DEFINITELY check for malware.
That being said, to restore default icons:
Right-click on the desktop, choose "Personalize".
On the laft-hand menu, choose "Change desktop icons".
On the bottom right of the dialog pop-up, click "Restore Default".
There is also a checkbox to allow themes to change desktop icons; unchecking this may be helpful as well.

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Oops that should be "left-hand". Unless of course you actuallay have a laft hand...
[2thumbsup]

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Actually". Been here too long, going home.

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back