Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ICOMM 640-461 home lab hardware setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

TudorNegru

Technical User
Oct 23, 2012
IE
Hi there!

Well I'm on the verge of taking my CCNA vanilla and want to go down the CCNA Voice path and from what i see the ICOMM 640-461 is Cisco's current recommended/required exam.

Now the area where i live kind of lacks in any training centers so i decided to go ahead and study by myself. I got Jeremy Cioara's book "Cisco CCNA Voice 640-461 Official Cert Guide" and am now looking at buying some gear for a home setup that i can use to learn and pass the ICOMM.

I've seen some kits put together on eBay for the CCNA Voice but most of these "all-in-one" solutions use 2610XM routers which only go up to CUCME 4.1 (please correct me if I'm wrong). However, i see that CISCO's latest CUCME release surpasses 8.0 ( I believe it's 9.1) so am a bit reluctant to go down the above mentioned HW acquisition path.

I've been doing some reading and I've seen that a 2801 router would actually be more suitable as they support CUCME 8.0.

What i would like to ask is:

A) would this setup be OK/ENOUGH for a home lab?

- 1 x 2801 router with CUCME 8.0
- 1 x WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI
- 2 x 2610 Routers (8MB Flash, 40MB RAM)
- 2 x Cisco 7960G phones

B) would a FXO or FXS modules be needed on the 2801 Router for studying/passing the ICOMM? I guess only if i need analogue phones/trunks attached???

C) Would CUCME 4.1 running on a 2610XM ACTUALLY be OK for studying and passing the ICOMM without hands-on working on release 8.0?

I would really appreciate any piece of advice, suggestions or direction about the hardware. I think that if i go by the book and study it thoroughly I should be fine but the HW has got me pinned down for the moment.

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Tudor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back