Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ICA stops responding, or does it....wierd problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2003
US
Well on our farm today we ran into a wierd problem. 2 out of 15 servers just stopped accepting ica connections. But the wierd part is, 1494 was still responding to telnet with the ICA prompt. So we started looking around, RDP was working fine, licenses were ok, rpc, xml, com server. Everything looked normal. People who were already connected stayed working fine. We're running win2k, sp3, and FR2.

Unfortunately a reboot fixed it, so i can't go back and troubleshoot, but of course management wants a RFO, anyone have this happen before?

hi,
what about IMA (Independent Management Architecture)service ?
Nothing in event log ?
bye

We restarted the ima service, and nothing out of the ordinary in the logs, lots of printer auto creation junk we always have.

/shrug got me stumped

hi,
if you stop IMA service, on both servers, are you able to recreate the hang situation ?

I, every night, reboot all my Citrix servers
(they do by theirself !)

You can justify to your manager as "memory leak" and
with nightly reboot, you avoid (minimize), this cause.

If a service goes down (IMA,spooler,ecc) you can,
in Recovery tab, Take some action.

bye

Well we reboot the servers every other night, half one night, half the other. Both servers that hung were rebooted early this morning.

When i say we restarted the ima service, i mean stopped and started, it was running, and stopping starting did nothing.

I actually thought for some crazy reason, the citrix licensing connection was lost, but i dunno!

Are you connecting with NFUSE? When we have this problem we usually have to restart the citricxml service also.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Yes we are, but stopping and starting the xml service didn't help, only a reboot did...

Let me clarify. We have to restart IMA and citrixcml on the server with the database on it.

Jon

When you get this haning, is this across your entire farm? So far it was just these 2 machines that were affected, the DB is on another server that was fine. Once we removed the affected servers from their apps, people were able to connect and run them.

Usually it is all the apps. You get the links in Nfuse, but none of them work.

Jon

Ah see we have apps running specifically on other servers, it was only the apps that were running on these 2 servers that were having issues. Yea so i'm still stumped, but thanks for trying.

I had the exact same issue when I went from XPe FR1 to Fr2. Even Citrix was stumped. There is a known issue with Win 2K SP3 and FR2 with a memory leak with the IMA service. I found nothing to fix this and really didnt want to rebuild my boxes. So here is my fix and hope in someway it helps.

Create 2 bat files (I called mine ima and ima2)
Ima.bat = kill imasrv (kills the ima service)
ima2.bat = net start "imaservice" (restarts the ima service)
Place them locally on the citrix boxes and run a scheduled job to run 1/2 hr before the normal effected time. My problem always occurred around 4 - 4:30 so the scheduled job Ima.bat runs at 3:30 every day, Ima2.bat runs at 3:31.

I havent had a problem since. Good luck and keep me posted if this helps.

Does this IMA Service outage cause users to get connection errors? Would it be better to run very early in the morning? I am asking because I have read many people talk about scheduled reboots of CItrix (nightly or weekly), but have never had to implement them. I don't know if that means I am very lucky or very good, but regardless, I am always trying to find out how people implement them so that I can keep that in my hip pocket for whenever it is I start getting unlucky and have to reboot regularly.

I have a scheduled reboot at 12 midnight...but with the leak in the IMA service...it takes almost mid-day before the error in the event log shows unable to get a valid license error.

Citrix best practices states its best to reboot the servers nightly..reclaiming all the memory allocated for the terminal server sessions. Just an FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back