Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ibutton 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2013
US
About 9 years ago, a couple of people that were taking care of the Mitel 3300 at one of the locations, lost an ibutton to the "resilient box". (MXe machines) This particular operation is 24 hours and should see little if ANY downtime. They have purchased a virtual license, I will be setting that up soon. (Should be interesting, have not done that yet).

I know that they never replaced the ibutton and it appears they let the license lapse for that system a few years ago. Within the last year and a half, I had to replace 2 of their old MXe systems with a new MXe III each. I swapped out their ibuttons on those, everything worked and everyone was happy. (leaves me with 2 ibuttons that can be used.)

I also replaced/salvaged some old parts from both and made one working system (as far as I can see anyway, my only concern is those old hard drives that were in a systems that operated 24/7 for anywhere from 5 - 9 years.) The old IDE drives are labeled Feb 2006 and Aug 2008. How long do those things last? I have them set up and ready for a system restore if I need to put one up in a hurry.

Now, I am being asked to replace the ibutton (which is in the system from one of the new ones I swapped out) and get a license for this system that I pieced together (MXe), perhaps to use it as a backup or as a primary for a new location. If it is to be used as a resilient, what kind of licensing would be needed? One to match the full license of the primary controller?

What would be the best suggested rout to go with this? I have never been involved with the purchase of this stuff, I just maintain them and fix them when broken, someone else higher than me typically does that but they are not available.

Soo many questions - here goes.

iButton is directly tied to licensing. If the system does not have iButton it cannot function. iButtons can be moved from system to system and the licensing can follow them. Also iButtons can be replaced but would need to be relicensed via the AMC to the new ID. Spare iButtons are useless for the most part. I have many and have yet to use one for any purpose.

I would not recommend putting a system into service with used IDE drives. I'd even go so far as to reject the idea of one with "new" IDE drives. Analogy - your choosing whether to re-use the oil from your new car in your old car or the Oil that's been sitting on the shelf for 10 years from a company that went out of business 5 years ago. Hint, they went out of business because the product was faulty.

A resilient server only needs to be licensed with base licensing to function as a resilient server for IP Phones. You'll need to figure out how it will have inbound and outbound calling of course with the main controller down.

Conversion to virtual can be relatively easy depending on what the end game is. DONT try to upload an unmodified backup from a physical system though. that's asking for trouble.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

I think that as long as the ibutton app record has been reset, the ibutton could be used again and assigned to a new app record. Not sure, but think it to be so.

Thank you for the information gents. Greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back