Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBTable is slow in Interbase 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorlandDave

Programmer
Jun 13, 2005
GB
I recently upgraded from Interbase 6 to Interbase 2007 and my program is much slower than it used to be when using the IBTable object. Specifically when I call IBTable->Active=true;

Does anyone know why this is?

I've not used Interbase so I'm not the one to say. Just out of curiosity, is it only when you activate the DB or is anytime you use the table, i.e., inserts, updates, reads, and deletes?

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Only when I activate it. The code is the same as when I was using Interbase 6 yet I find Interbase 2007 much slower.

Since I'm not certain what the settings are on Interbase, I'm just guessing here. Is it possible that you are trying to load an entire dataset onto your computer instead if just a subset? If the entire dataset is being loaded onto your computer when you open the table, all the data from that table is also being loaded onto your computer. If you filter the data, only those records that meet the criteria, a subset, will be loaded onto your computer.

The other thing that comes to mind is the authentication process. I notice in SQL that the first time I open a table, it takes much longer than subsequent opens since the DB now can authorize me faster.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

The database is stored locally with the application, so there shouldn't be any significant speed issues due to loading times. Also the tables are relatively small (sub 100 records). I just can't figure out why there would would be such a difference between IB6 and IB2007.

Cheers for the help though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back