Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM xSeries 236 - any power supply snap... snap... snap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbanriot

MIS
Jan 21, 2007
CA
IBM xSeries 236, single processor configuration was working great for years and I'm obviously missing something, probably something unique to IBM servers...

Here's the deal: Have this x236 server that wasn't powering on whatsoever, the AC LED at the back of the modular power supply was faintly on, off, on off, making a quiet snapping sound along the same pattern as the flashing.

I'd assumed it was the power supply, so I hooked up one of mine, my power supply snaps too, even louder than the IBM one! Snap... snap... snap... forever. No power, no lights, no spinning, no anything but continuous snap sound.

I ripped out the motherboard from this server, that's never been dismantled and probably never opened, disconnected everything, threw it up on the bench with simply CPU and RAM, same snapping issue. I then alternated pairs of RAM of the four that were there and also tried another CPU, in case something bizarre, same issue. I then tried to plug in only a power supply just to the motherboard and same thing. Snap... snap... snap...

Now I figure, it must be the motherboard. So I find a guy on Ebay to send me one next day, it shows up and looks rather newish. I throw it up on the bench... SAME PROBLEM!

Now, this system has a modular hot swap power supply that plugs into a power supply cage assembly, and I'm wondering if there's something about this that isn't standard, despite the manual stating 'standard 670 power supply'?

Service manual is here if anyone needs a refresh:
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/sup···8114.pdf

So, all of that being said, anyone who's familiar with these particular units have some insight?

Thanks in advance!

Updating my post in the event anyone googling comes across this.

Basically, no regular server power supply would work (Delta, etc.), and you specifically required IBM power module + power backplane, despite the fact that it's a regular old 24 pin power plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back