Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM xSeries 236 and adaptec sata controller problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bludbunny

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2002
AU
Hi guys

We are "recycling" a couple of IBM x236 servers, with 3 72gb U320's on Serveraid 7i cards. We are attempting to expand their storage with an adaptec sata controller and a pair of 500gb sata drives, but when the card is installed in the server, the system freezes during startup, right after it displays the serveraid information. Without the adaptec card installed, it boots to server 2003 fine.
We have tested two cards, Adaptec 1220 PCI-E and 1420 PCI (64 bit) and both have the same issue.
Is this a known issue with these cards, or is there a work around for this problem?
Any help would be appreciated.
cheers,
Brett

You might want to try to update the bios. IBM shows this machine at 1.08

Thanks - but she is at 1.08 - all the firmware was updated after Server 2003 was installed fresh.
Brett

Although I haven't worked on xSeries in awhile and this may not apply, but have you gone into the Bios/Setup and indicated that the Slot X where you are installing your adaptec card is set to accept a non-IBM option card
If the above doesn't work, have you tried installing on a different slot?

Hi ITSP - thanks for the input. I have turned off execution field under the PCI bus control in bios. This allows the system to boot with either a PCI-E card or PCI card installed (both adaptec) and get into windows. It then asks for a driver, but both devices fail with "device cannot start CODE 10" within Win 2003 SVR.
Not having fun.
I have even tried running backup BIOS (v1.01) but it does a similar thing on bootup.

Looks like disabling that bios option removes access to it from windows. Looks like I am stuck looking for a different model of card to test, hopefully it is only related to Adaptec cards.
Thanks for your help.
Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back