Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM Xseries 235

Status
Not open for further replies.

zodiaczz

Technical User
Feb 19, 2005
CA
Hello all,

I have a xseries 235 IBM server with a Mirror C drive for the operating system. I also have a 3 disk RAID 5 for Data which is a D drive in windows. The customer wants to extend his D Drive free space. I bought a new Hard drive to add to the array. Here are the steps I performed.

1. Installed the new drive
2. Installed ServeRAID
3. Added a logical Drive to Array B (this was the RAID array)
4. It then went into a rebuilding phase that took over 15 hours
5. Next day , rebooted server, the array was created but I did not see it in Windows data managment
6. In the ServeRAID, went to the array and created a new logical drive (using the new drive created)
7. Drive created, took about 1 hour to sync with RAID 5
8. Rebooted machine, went into windows, saw there drives
Drive 0 (mirrored) Drive 1 (D drive data and part of RAID 5) and Drive 3 my new drive
9. I extended the volume from Drive 1 (D Drive) to my new logical drive(which is also part of the RAID now) resulting in a spanned volume with the D drive now having the extra free space I desired.

woo now that is over here is my question. Though I got my final result that I needed, was this the correct procedure, was there an easier and faster way to do this, IBM support is quite difficult to follow. I usually work on Compaq Servers and the RAID rebuild never took that long. I was kind of expecting to see an addition of space to my Drive 1 and not having to expand the volume onto another drive, is that the only way

Thoughts?

Thanks

I probably would have ran a backup on drive d:. Booted servRIAD cdrom and deleted the riad 5. Added new HD. Scanned for new hardwaredrive. Created a new RAID 5. Booted windows. You would have to create a new partition with the new freespace. restore D drive from tape or another source.

BTW - Just wanted to give you a big hint that took me a while to learn. You can write to the drives while the raid is building. No need to wait 15 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back