Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM xSeries 226 Raid 5 disk recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

no2broady

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2004
IE
Hello, I recently had a disk fail on an IBM xSeries 226 server. The server is setup in a raid 5 configuration, with 3 146.8Gb disks.

The server did not automatically set the faulty drive to defunct, I would get a blue screen of death, upon reboot the server would not boot up and the green activity light on one of the disks would stay constant which lead me to to believe the disk was faulty. I removed the disk from the server and after setting the disk to defunct the system booted up.

I now have a replacement disk in hand, after the issues I had with the system not setting the disk to defunct originally I am being over cautious. I have read and am pretty confident I can rebuild the new disk.

My question is how long can this take? I have 10 terminal service sessions using this system daily (expect Sunday) and I probably don't want to start the rebuild whilst the system is in use, I was planning on starting the rebuild at 6pm today, this gives me about 14 hours before the system is required by any users.

Thanks for reading and any info you can provide.

No2broady

14 hours should be plenty as you have a relatively small array, but there are many variables such as drive firmware and raid adapter revisions, drive manufacturer/model, adapter settings etc.Should take roughly 4 hours.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks for the info technome, I am going to run with it a 6pm and see how I get on. Not changed a disk in this server before so a little blind with this task.

okay, it took 3.5 hours to rebuild the array. Technome, you weren't far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back