Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBm x3650 with EXP3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmec

ISP
May 17, 2011
US
I purchased this combo recently and after obtaining the trays and cables, I installed 12 WD 5000AVVS hard drives (all new) into the trays. I installed minimum Centos to get the system up and running. WHen I access the array via the <ctrl> A function, it reports 3 drives. (2) SAS drives (in the 3650) which has the OS on it, then in enclosure 1 slot 9 it is showing 1 500 gig hard drive, but nothing in the other 11 slots. I have moved drives around and where ever that physical drive is, it is seen by serveRAID-8k (latest version, updated this morning). Am I missing something obvious here? I have had serveRAID rescan numerous times, and it only finds that one hard drive.

Joe The Newbie

Did you initialize the drives? Also is that setup even supported? Every exp3000 I see is connected with an HBA, a second raid card, usually a LSI MegaRAID 5014,5015 or something similar.

Any chance you put the drives in the trays 'backwards'? It will still fit in the box but not connect to the backplane.

Thanks for the input, and yes scsiraid, you hit the nail on the head. I needed an additional card. Sadly, I was not able to locate one reasonable enough so I traded that machine in on some HP's

It's admirable that you were trying to cobble something together to save money, but sometimes that turns into a big old mess and you wish you never went down that road. Been there.

It's never easy to say though until you try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back