Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM X236 Ethernet Card Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangermouse1977

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2007
GB
Hi all

I have an IBM X236 server that has 2 Broadcom LAN ports built in to the board.

These ports are allegedly gigabit - they are identified in the hardware list as gigabit etc.

However, despite plugging into a Gigabit hub, I cannot get the server to connect to the lan at more than 100mb

Any ideas why this may be the case?

Have you checked your OS driver settings to see what they are set as?

If you're meaning have I gone into the device manager and checked the speed and duplex settings on the advanced tab of the properties of the network card, the answer's Yes

1gb isn't listed as an option, only 10mb and 100mb - have also downloaded the broadcom control suite and that only lists 10 and 100 as well.

That is a limitation of the driver. You have to set it as Auto. It will not give you an option to hard set it at 1GB.

Also I have noticed that on broadcom drivers unless you are actually plugging into a 1GBps port you will not see the option to run at 1GBps. I have seen this when connecting to Cisco switches. What you can try is plug the NIC directly to another machine with a GB NIC to see if it accepts the 1GB speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back