Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM x235 DEFUNCT RAID drive issues and questions. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcumbers

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2009
US
Gents,

Thanks for looking in. I appreciate your time as much as my own.

IBM x235 running IBMs RAID 5i I beleive (std that came with machine). 4x 74.3GB RAID 1 4GM RAM Windows 2003 / SBS. Machine has run like a champ for 2 years since purchased used. Not even a hick-up. Never had to address or use RAID config software. Data back-up off site hourly.

Walked in this morning to find machine frozen. Upon hard reboot, gen up DOS sequence indicates DEFUNCT drive (appears to be #3 of 4). Windows attempts to boot but goes to blue screen after 4 seconds on std initial windows 2003 logo screen.

Not an expert here...but here goes. It appears from my readings here and elsewhere, I am to configure a bootable cd with image of say, 32r2741.iso Boot to that and run RAID config program. Set DEFUNCT drive to OFF? or back ONLINE?

The entire office is down so I'd like to get server back up while waiting for new drive to arrive. Can I run without that DEFUNCT drive?

If it's "HOT SWAPPABLE", why these steps? Can I not just pull it and put a new one in?

What will be proper REBUILD sequence?

Finally, can someone please comment on PART NUMBERING SCHEME. Unit is IBM P/N 26K5152 SCSI U320 10K PRM 73.4 GB 80 PIN. Finding the unit by P/N has been difficult. A nearly identical unit has a different P/N or 32P0730. Does adding the caddy make it a different P/N? Any way to confirm I'm getting the exact same thing I need? Not a single vender can have an intelligent discussion to distinguish between the two P/Ns and since no one pulls one out to physically look at it, they can not tell me if indeed 26K5152 sits in a caddy and is labeled a different P/N.

Appreciate your thoughts and comments on my behalf. Thanks.

Use the FRU(Field Replaceable Unit) number to search for the replacement. The drive part number may be different due to different drive manufacturer.

Using the ServRaid CD is the best way to find out what the status of the array is. If the disks were configured as a Raid 0, you would have to restore the system from backup (after replacing the failed disk). IF you had a Raid 1 or Raid 5 configuration, you may be able to 'force' the drive online and recover the volume. You would, of course, still have to replace the disk that caused the problem originally.

Ok,

ServeRAID Manager up and running via boot to CD on machine.

I can see physical devices. 4 drives; ID 0 - 3. ID 0 & 1 "ONLINE", ID 2 & 3 "DEFUNCT"

ID 2 was original drive that went bad. Originally labeled "DEFUNCT".

ID 3 has paper label on it reading "HOT SPARE". Apparently it was not. It was in production paired with ID 2 in RAID 1 set-up. Now ID 3 also reads "DEFUNCT".

Would like to take ID 2 off-line. Try to get ID 3 back ONLINE.

Can't find action to set drive property or take defunct drive off-line.

Any help from this point on will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

How do I either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back