Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ibm x series 225 raid 5 fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

people3

Technical User
Feb 23, 2004
GB
Hi

I have a ibm x series 225 with a raid 5i controller. The drives are set up in raid 5 but drive 1 has failed.

On bootup i get a error 1 critical and 1 defunct drive.
a disk read error occured pres cnt alt del.

I have removed this drive and to try and get it to boot from the two disks as i don't have a spare disk at the moment but this still shows the error.

Is it possible to get the 2 drives to boot as a temp mesure without installing a 3rd drive (i know there will be no redundancy)

Many Thanks

Unfortunately Raid 5 requires a minimum of 3 disks to operate. Unless there are 3 disks, it wont work. I'm not sure you can change the raid either while it is in this state without losing data, but someone with more experience should be able to clear that up.

you can go past the error, and boot the server, and raid 5 will work if one of the drives has failed, that is the idea behind it, the raid card fills in the missing data. and that is why you can rebuild the array once a new drive is put in. Raid 5 needs a minimum of 3 disks to create the array, but it will run on 2 with the adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back