Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM X series 225 raid 5 Array problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcn1310

Technical User
Jul 14, 2009
GB
We have 2 disks configured as operating system (C:\) and 4 disks configured as data disks (D:\) we had a problem and the 4 data disks failed. We have replaced the 4 data disks and then used the Ctrl i function to access the dos version of Serveraid. The system would not recognise the new 4 disks so one of my colleagues did a "restore to factory default" - we are now in a mess as we have lost our boot drive and all the drives now state RDY (Ready).

We need to setup the array for the D:\ and then ideally recover the setup for the C:\ (the data is still present).
Can anyone help with our problems or know of any documentation that we can follow or know of any Experts in this field that could visit and sort our problem ?
Any help is much appreciated - Many thanks Marcus

The C drive should be easy. Just go back to the Ctrl I menu where you set the factory defaults and select the menu itme that reads the configuration off the disk. You should see your mirror again once you've done that.
As to the D drives... it is often the case that a faulty drive will cause all the drives to go offline. If you have ServRaid loaded on your os disks, you can find out which drive failed first and that is likely the bad one. I would force all drives online and reboot. Once it is stablized, replace the drive that caused the initial problem.
I would also recommend downloading and installing the latest IBM update express for your system It will system components including the disk firmware. Good luck.

Yes - the above is correct. Don't worry about the data drives for now. In fact, I would pull them out until you get the C: (o.s. drive) straightened out. You don't need anything added to the mix.

There should be an option to Read Configuration from Disk and that is what you want to choose.

Then hopefully, you will be back in operating system functionality mode.

Now it's time to make sure your controller and disk firmware is up to date. Start with the controller (boot from a serverraid bootable CD downloaded from IBM and burned). Then update the firmware on the two operating system disks.

The next thing would be to put the new disks back in and see if they are recognized now. The you can create a new array and restore your data.

Make sure you put in your exact model (in the above link), but I would assume you would end up on a page that looks like this:

The IBM Update Express CD has updates for your server as well including the hard drive firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back