Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM thinkpad question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2003
GB
I have an IBM thinkpad, but when I bought it, I didn't really know what I would want out of it (first computer and all) but now I know that I want a firewire port for it. Trouble is that I have a wireless card in it, and would rather find a way of getting a firewire port put in, i.e. get the back bit replaced (the part with the parallel ports and stuff. To me it looks like 3 screws, and bob's yer uncle. But I don't think it is that simple.

Is there any Thinkpad techys out there. system stuff is this I think:

Machine type-model - 2655MAG.

let me know if other info is needed. Any help would be so good. As I am about to go and buy another one, but would rather just be able to expand on this one.

Kind regards

Rob

When student asks a questions, often the most obvious solution is the answer.

Those screws you see are mostly for securing the case to the motherboard.

The easiest way to get any additional hardware in a notebook is with PCMCIA/PC Cards, fit in the slots in the edge of the case.

About the only things changeable in notebooks is Memory and the Hard Drive.

This one looks good:

There's a number of entries on Google:

Hi !
The thinkpads have a mini pci slot in the back that can be
used for add-on cards like modem/ethernet etc.
Not sure if they have wifi or firewire as mini-pci .

But if the problem is just one pcmcia slot and you want
both wifi and firewire in there at the same time .
Well usage of the mini-pci as one item and the pcmcia slot
as the other item could be a solution .
But of course that is depending on what can be delivered as mini-pci .

Check out their web site .

Thanks very much you have answered what I need to know. I shall know next time to get it all built in. Basically, I have run out of space already, and was gonna get a firewire drive for it, but even if it runs via USB, it means the drive or my mouse.

2 months to make a laptop obselete is a shame.

Thanks for you help guys. I will check out the firewire card though, there might be an answer yet.

As I say I am just after more space without going through all the reinstalling stuff.

Another option i thought of would be external wifi
adapter for usb connectivity (looks almost like a usb pen drive with an antenna on it) and a combo firewire/usb pcmcia card .

syar

Thankyou Syar, I think that the mini-pci is the answer iif it is not too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back