Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

~ ibm thinkpad 380xd / netgear FA411 ethernet adapter problem ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocker838

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2001
US
hi,

my friend has an ibm thinkpad 380xd and purchased a netgear fa411 ethernet card... when we put the card in and hook up the cat-5 and install the drivers... the link/activity light just blinks a constant blink... i figured that the light should be solid... is it suppose to have a steady blink even with no internet activity?? the laptop does pull an IP from DHCP and also can browse the net... but locks up after about 2 minutes of browsing... my friend is running windows 98 SE and IE 6... we also tried mozilla (still locks up, but a bit more rare).

i was thinking maybe the cat-5 is messed up... have not tried a different strand yet... this is really bugging me and i cannot find whether the link/act light is suppose to be solid or maintain a steady blink... thanks in advance. "Less work more network" (HP) -- its so catchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back