Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM ServeRAID configuration on Netfinity 5600 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulRider

Technical User
Jun 17, 2005
NL
I seem to be having trouble and I am probably overlooking something very basic but please if anyone could help me I would be extremely grateful.

I picked an old X-series 240 server - 8664-81Y which had no hard drives. I bought 3 new hard drives and connected them up to the serveRAID controller. I dowloaded the IBM ServeRAID support CD in an attemp to configure the controller, but it won't auto run as it says in the manuals. I have just checked the contents of the CD on a desktop machine and there is a folder called boot cd. Do i need to burn that onto it's own cd? I couldn't see any executable files in there so not sure if thats the right step?

Anyone got any ideas, this is a first time raid configuration for me.

OK, I have followed all the instructions in all the manuals that i have downloaded and read from the IBM website but i am stil having no joy at all with the system. Can anyone help me at all? Does anyone have a copy of the original CD's that were shipped with this server?

You need to download the servRAID .iso file and burn the cdrom. here is the link.

90p3524.iso 453,345,280 IBM ServeRAID Support CD Image (Signed)

Also, and this is very important. boot the cdrom and configure your raid. But it is also very important to match the driver within windows. If you browse the cdrom from another windows machine, you will find within one of the pdf files the procedure to create a RAID driversfloppy disk which you should use when you are prompted during the windows install to press f6 if you have any drivers to input. So look into that if you plan to install windows.

HTH - Stiddy

I see you say you downloaded the image and burned to a cd, did you burn as an image? not just dump the iso to the cd and burn as that will not work...I have DL the ISO and burned as an image with nero just fine, it boots into linux by the way.

I am beginning to get very annoyed with this server. The file i downloaded was 90p3524.iso. I un-ISO-ed it with winrar and burnt it as a normal CD. It doesnt have the directories in it that are specified in the PDF files on the CD. The cd wont autorun. I opened the Boot cd directory and burnt this as a cd, it wont autorun. I also found a folder on the cd called Raidman_cd, i opened this and burnt this as a cd, this will not autorun either. I am getting very confused.

Please help me before i throw this server through the window, thanks.

I run easy cd creator and I just double click on the .iso file and it automatically writes the cdrom.

HTH - Stiddy

Just to clarify this is a new build server, they are brand new disks so i have no array configured and no OS installed. But i have realised that when burning cd's that were bootable from my cd writer, they are no longer bootable on a blank system. Is there poosibly a problem with my cdrw not closing disks so they become not bootable?

I would guess that top be your problem. OR, possibly boot the server and enter configuration and make sure that your boot options are set to:

cdrom
floppy
hard drives

maybe the server is not even attempting to boot the cdrom.

HTH - Stiddy

download nero, it has a free trial. close all the manager crap, then from the main screen, choose recorder, then burn image, browse to the .iso file, and click, it will start the image burn setup, make sure the option to close and finalize the cd is chosen. By making a dump of the .iso and making a flat burn, it doesn't make the cd bootable.

OK, found a copy of Nero 5 i got free with my cd writer, and what do you know, it all works fine.

99% of all computer errors occur BCAK - Between chair and keyboard :)

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Now just need to get windows 2003 server, as the CD only carries the device drivers for the 4H model in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back