Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM ServeRAID 7.10b

Status
Not open for further replies.

basspro

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2002
US
Where would be the best resource for how raid configuration for an IBM 346 with ServeRAID 7.10b

The server has four disks, I want Raid 5 for three with one as a hot spare.

The online help with the Support CD is a little sparse.

All help greatly appreciated.

Visit the following and download the .iso file. Burn a cd from the iso. Boot the cdrom in your server. Right click on the controller within the ServRAID program and click 'Create new array'. Choose custom, you will figure it out from there.

90p3524.iso

HTH - Stiddy

I sincerely appreciate the information.

Come to find out Sunday I have a bad controller card which was causing some of the information to be somewhat mis-represented. After IBM installed the new card everything went fine.

Again, though, I appreciate the response.

Your better of with a raid 5 with four disk, and purchasing another for the hotspare. Your raid throughput will be higher with a 4 versus 3 disk raid stripe.

Another option for better performance with small numbers of drives is to use RAID 5EE. 5EE distributes the hotspare into the active array. Thus with a 4 drive array you get 2 drives worth of capacity but 4 active drives distributing the workload. WIth a 3 drive RAID 5 plus a hotspare, you still get two drives worth of capacity but only 3 active drive distributing the workload. 5EE puts the hotspare 'to work'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back