Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM RS/6000 F30 - boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

u856100

Technical User
Feb 7, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I am new to AIX/IBM servers. I am trying to re-build an RS/6000 F30 server. I have tried what I think to be everything during the attempted boot from the floppy drive containing the boot disk (function keys, num keys, etc). The server just seems to hang on FEB - verify recovery image is valid - and the hard disk continues to remain lit.

I would like some advice as to where to go next. The terminal I am using is emulating a wyse 50+. Does this scenario suggest a disk corruption and should I go digging for a loose connection somewhere/replace the root disk, etc.

thanks in advance for your help,

John

You cannot boot off a floppy.
You will need to boot off the original AIX operating Cds, a mksysb tape,

The SMS diskette (which maybe you are referring to?)was replaced by microcode for the machine itself. My guess is that you need to find some other media to boot off of to see if you lost a hard drive etc.

Many thanks AIXqueen,

will give it a shot.

stay regal

john

Hi, I'm having this exact problem on an existing system that was running fine. Until today it started running really slow, so after work I used the shutdown command. After it was off I restarted the PC and now I cn't get anything other than FEB on the PC with the disk drive light going like crazy! Now i've looked all over to find answers, but cannot for the life of me find any boot disk here or anything helpful. I can't get into any SMS screens nothing happens, I'm totally lost right now. Anyone help??

FEB F30 Verify recovery image is
The F40 action plan should also work valid | on the F30 Use the F30 firmware.
F40 Firmware flash corrupted, | A C T I O N load from diskette |
If the system will not boot up fully|and the checkpoint display reads "FEB",
|the firmware is partially corrupted, but |should be recoverable.
Make a copy of |the firmware update diskette, rename the |.img file to
PRECOVER.IMG and insert|this "recovery" diskette in the drive |
when the FEB appears on the checkpoint display.

microcode can be downloaded for your machine at:
(make your own disk)

aixqueen!!

Is there anyway i could talk to you directly?
Everything I try does nothing!

sean@kendallpkg.com

I have tried the downloaded disks, there is the Service Processor Microcode for my E20, and the System Microcode for my machine. I downloaded both, extracted the files, ran the exe and made two disks. I restarted and tried both and the system microcode disk seems to do something when put in. It eventually gives me a F26 on the display then that clears and it sits there for awhile, then it starts a constant tone. When I restart after this the exact same thins happens with the FEB error, so I don't know what the net step is????

So since I don't have a firmware recovery disk, it seems like I have to call in IBM to get anything really fixed.

well even if it is a firmware problem, hardware CE for IBM can help you....they will load it for you....from their stash....I believe...
the f26 though
F26 Check valid image - start means it tries to find an image and cant...
The system microcode should have worked for you...If you grabbed the right machine....(I am sure you did)

Perhaps it is a hardware probably other than firmware....Unfortunately I would
call IBM hardware unless any of the other gurus have another suggestion at this point.
It is probably the fastest solution.

Yeah thanks I've had to call them and approve a possible $2500 bill to get them to come out sometime by monday hopefully, urgh it sucks.

Thanks for your help though

well you could check the instructions again on the firmware disk again...not service processor but system microcode is what you need for now....

You might try the opposite of what you downloaded it to...ie...try aix if you did dos
or dos if you did aix....try formatting the disk on aix first...etc.... read the description on the dang machine.....

worth a try...try downloading directly to a pc then ftp to an aix machine and try to
create it.

Good luck...and sorry... it just seems strange that it gacked before you applied firmware...usually it just doesnt go bad while you are working....sure sounds like something else going on as well.

The F-series machines are notorious for NVram issues. A quick way to clear it is power off the system-pull the battery off the system board. Power on the system and pull the plug. This drains it fast. Put the battery back in and boot up.

To get to SMS, you would hit the "1" key while booting up. Don't be shy, beat it senseless. (F1 for graphics) The ugly posting above with the | symbols if from RSINFO, which is sometimes, but not always correct. NVram is always worth a try before dealing with IBM.

Thanks to all, I already had the IBM guy out yesterday and he played around for an hour and declared the system board faulty and was willing to replace it, of course it cost $2300 just for the part! But he was cool and told me to look around online and I bought a E20 and had it shipped here today and am finally back up and running with my new server. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back