Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM PS2 Set Date Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattcash

Technical User
Apr 8, 2011
I am new to this forum and hope I am posting this question in the correct manner. I have an IBM PS2 model 70 that I have been running my small automotive repair shop with since 1990. It runs NAPA's TRACS program. An IBM AIX operating system. NAPA stopped supporting this operating system about 10 years ago when they switched over to a Windows based system. They did provide a Y2K fix so I could enter the correct date each time the computer is turned on. As of 12/31/2010 I can no longer enter the correct date-- the message when I try just says "Bad Date". So I keep entering 12/31/2010 each time I turn on the computer. Problem with that is my invoices print with that date and I can't do a back up to tape since I already did it back back on 12/31/2010 and it won't do back up twice on the same date. So my question is --- does anyone know how I can get the computer to accept dates after 12/31/2010?

IBM builds wonderfully strong computers, that run long after they've become obsolete! Consider that you've gotten 20 years of use out of this system, and invest in a new unit to run the windows version of your software. PC's are a lot less expensive than they were 20 years ago - you'll be glad you upgraded.
Since you're in the car repair business, this situation reminds me - my mother had been driving a 1982 Honda Accord since it was new -85,000 total miles on it - last year it wouldn't start, she had it towed to the dealer - they diagnosed it as a carburetor problem that was too complicated/not cost effective to repair - we (her kids) convinced her that she'd be better off with a newer car with safety features. She now drives a 2005 Civic, with as close to the configuration of the 82 Accord as possible.
Upgrade your system so you're customers won't think you're stuck in 2010! and, that model 70 WILL quit someday, so move up while you can do it on a planned basis, rather than an emergency (like fixing a fuel pump problem in the shop, instead of waiting until it fails on the road, and the car has to be towed in....)

Fred Wagner

Holy moly - "time to replace computer" taken to a whole new level.

But seriously, you never want to operate a system that is not supported by your software supplier. They won't support you if you have a problem and as mentioned, invoices are dated incorrectly which will look weird/suspicious/incompetent to customers.

If cost is your issue, you can get a nice used computer on Craig's List, but buyer beware when buying used cars and used computers.

Your next post should be titled: "What computer should I buy?

You don't need to spend much! - I've just sold my wife's old computer for £40 - an AMD3800, 1 GB Ram 160-GB disk, DVD-RW and legal Windows XP.

Rich.

Better yet, buy a PC brand/model that's recommended by your software supplier, or to keep it simple, let them buy it and deliver it to you with the software already installed, running and with a backup system in place. You might need a new printer too - you're probably using an impact printer to produce multiple copies in one pass - though you can work around that - the dealer service departments I frequent have laser printers, and their software prints additional copies as the normal procedure - and they're all equally readable.
I do understand how your feel about your PS/2 though - my 500mhz IBM Thinkpad was still running last year when it got Malware that I couldn't clear, and the Windows 2000 on it was no longer getting security updates. I've retired it, but intend to put Linux on it 'someday'. And at work, by IBM Netfinity 600R, running Windows Advanced Server 2000 and SQL 2000, with a terabyte of disk space (3 volumes, 30 total disk drives) is still running after 10 years of continuous service, but my data center team is getting really nervous about it!

Fred Wagner

Right now the OP is saying, "I didn't ask you guys about getting a new computer, I want to know how to fix the old one".

I think we should mention that the date is NOT fixable due to the age of the machine.

I personally think it's a miracle that the power supply is still ticking. Of course, they don't make 'em like they used to.

Having engaged with the beast in the mid 90s, I'm quite surprised they managed to put it on a PS/2.

AIX is based on Unix so it should be good until 2032. This sounds like an AIX problem specific to the PS/2. Wonder if the Unix forums can shed any light on this. Try
It could be the BIOS or the date chip that won't let the date progress beyond 2010 but that shouldn't stop the software wonce it has started up.

Thanks for the help. Special thanks to XWB who gave me the link to the IBM AIX forum where SJM2 provided me the instructions "Set Date Under AIX 1.3"-- I have contacted a friend who is very computer knowledgeable and is willing to do the Set Date procedure for me. Once again thanks.
Matt---

or should I have said, "start planning to replace the machine in the not-so-long term".

Hey Mattcash

There doesn't seem to be a Guiness Book of World Records for longest running computer so I say keep the PS2 and go for it!!

AND

Seriously think about investing in a new(er) PC before the oldie blows a transmission!

LOL

Sam

*Ahem*

Before people keep banging on about replacing the pc, you may want to pause for a second.
How about the price of software?

A search shows this may cost him FROM $3200+ /year !

So if he has paid for this and now has to pay / lease a brand new system, not quite so cheap.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

If the OP gets a tax audit, and he has a rolling-forward list of invoices all dated Dec 31, 2010, he will have another kind of problem. If he can get the system to accept current dates, it will be a nice challenge to keep the system going. If the date problem is not fixable, it's time to move up. Similar principle - owning an older car in California that runs fine, but can't pass the smog tests anymore....

Fred Wagner

As Sympology stated the cost of new software and the inability to transfer 21 years of customers and vehicles to a new computer is more the issue than the cost of a new computer. My friend that will be doing the set date procedure for me looked into setting up AIX as it is on my PS2 but it seems that the "Micro Channel" feature that the PS2 has can't be emulated so my current software won't work on a new computer. My friend has been very busy but will be over in the next few days to give the set date procedure a shot. I'll post our results as soon a I can. Thanks to all again---

You might want to ask your friend if there is any way of cloning the hard drive to an image and then running it as a virtual machine in a new PC? I can see two big hurdles to this idea. Firstly how likely is it that any modern PC going to be able to read the old hard drive in order to make an image? Is Virtual Box or any other virtual machine software going to be able to emulate the software anyway? I somehow doubt that the IBM has a CD-ROM drive, or that you could get one? But given that a machine as old as this must be on borrowed time it could be worth looking into this as a possibility?

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Do you still have the install media for the application?

It is quite possible that you could find hardware and operating system on the used market that would bring you nearer to current but still allow your program to run. Not that you need to upgrade now but at some point you are going to be forced to replace the hardware and it would be better to be prepared.

One of my customers was running accounting stuff on Ontel terminals, upgraded to Radio Shack IIIs, upgraded to IBM PCs, upgraded to AT class, upgraded to 486 class, then to Dell GX1s about a year ago. No changes required from PCs to the GX1s except to batch files.

I understand all too well about suppliers dropping support. Been through that with medical and veterinary packages several times. Currently supporting several orphan packages.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

This is taking the whole idea of not moving forward to a new level. I am amused, yet shocked. There is a practical and technical limit to all software and hardware. This case is reaching both of those thresholds.

Let's put it this way - if it breaks one day (and it HAS to break eventually) you are in bad shape with no "backup plan". Upgrading now or at least planning to upgrade is a smart thing to do.

My thought process would be:
"I've taken this as far as I can, gotten my money's worth out of it and now it's just prudent to act vs. trying to stay exactly where I've been looking into the future.

I might add, that even though you are doing backups (that may or may not be viable), when you have a hardware failure on your current computer, you will most likely only be able to retrieve your data if you can repair the current machine or have access to an identical one.

I guess we've beaten on this guy enough now that I look back at all the posts. We will now stand back and wait (to some point in the future) for the vultures to feast on the carcass of his old machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back