Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM PC SERVER 330 Updating raid controller error status bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvs747

Technical User
Oct 19, 2003
AU
HI
After updating my ibm pc server 330 raid controller it completes the update successfully it shows the status as bad now it doesnt recognise the disks.....please help

To start, what kind of RAID controller is installed? By updating, I'm assuming you mean the RAID controller firmware. Did you also update the driver in the OS (this should have been done first). Are there any relevant updates for the HDD firmware? Please clarify, does the RAID Controller show the disks as bad, or unrecognized - there is a huge difference. Bad (DDD) means the controller knows the drives are part of an array, but has marked them offline for some reason (RAID logs would be helpful to understand why). Unrecognized implies the controller lost the configuration (drives would be marked unknown or ready), in which case, the configuration (which is also stored on the HDDs) may be imported (as a last resort).

Well basically i aquired this server with no hdds just 2 drive bays, i then purchased 2 HDDs exactly like the original ones,the actual system doesnt recognise any of the disks....The is no OS on the system at all. the raid controller is the one built into the system

You would want to fail the drives presented by the raid-controller (in ServeRaid thats F5 at the error/boot message)

Even if you bought same physical (in make, model and geometry) disks the raid will fail to use them as replacement for the old drives as they (the old drives) are all missing and hence cannot be rebuilt.

Then Go to the RAid Controller Configuration (for ServeRAid download the ServeRaid cd v6.10 and boot that.
Go to the raid / array / logical drive configuration and remove all the bad / failde devices.
scan the raid for your new disks
create arrays as needed and add logical drives to these arrays.

exit the raid configuration program

reboot with os installer cd

install os.

/Henrik

Is there any way to do this after the OS is installed without losing data.

I thought these servers were suppose to be expandable without completely rebuilding the os.

If its serveraid & win2000 yes - I have not done it - but it should be possible..

/Henrik

It is serverraid and 2000 Advanced Server. Any documentation out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back