Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM NetFinity 5500, Can't load W2K Server !

Status
Not open for further replies.

axxessguru

Technical User
Jan 31, 2004
US
Got lucky on eBay with a Netfinity 5500,M10,dual-Xeons,512 memory,6-4.5 drives. I followed a lot of downloaded advice on how to install MS-2000 Server including using the ServeRAID 6.11 CD (and) the IBM Utility CD that updates the HD microcode. The MS-2000 Server software was successfully loaded. This unit (#1) works fine.
Feeling lucky, I bought a second unit (#2). Following the same installation "procedures" as used with #1, when rebooting with the Windows-2000-Server CD, the screen stops at "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...".
Something is wrong, but I'm unable to recognise what. I've booted back to the 6.11 CD and reviewed that the RAID is 6.11 and the firmware is 2.88.13 and that the RAID-5 setup is the same as #1. On bootup, the screen(s) look the same as #1 indicating the processors, memory, RAID are all OK.
I've also simply booted to a Win-98 diskette (or) CD to see if it is a problem using "Windows" and the unit responds normally. (probably not a "good" test)

I'm lacking on experience with this unit, so please bear with me, , ,
I also ran the quick diagnostics and everything passed, , ,Help!

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if you have access to this software, but if you have Ghost make an image of the good system then ghost it to the one that is not working and that should fix the problem. We do this all the time in my lab and it works great if the hardware is the same.

Axxessguru--

Did you get any further with your 5500 and Windows Server? I'm attempting the same thing with Windows Server 2003 and getting the exact same issue: halts/freezes at 34 minutes remaining, during "Installing devices".

At first I thought it was a ServeRAID driver issue with Win2k3, but I'm thinking that's not it now. IBM doesn't support 2k3 on the 5500, so there may be an inherent incompatibility--I'd just like to narrow down what it is.

Thanks.

DavidM@CurtCo.com

My 5500 proceeded with the W2k3 install once the parallel port was enabled in BIOS. However, W2k Server installed with no issue before this, so I don't know if that was the issue originally reported here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back