Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ibm netfinity 3000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2003
GB
can the ibm netfinity 3000 use cl3 p133 ecc sdram?
anyone know,thanks

Don't know, but I usually use Kingston's website to find memory for old IBM servers. They have a very good configurator and I've always been lucky with the memory I've bought.

Since PC133 RAM is backwards compatible with PC100 specs, it should work, but if it ain't on ServerProven, don't even think about calling IBM Support for memory issues.

thanks folks!!
just tried installing a netraid hp card on my ibm netfinity,the thing works great...well apart from a conflict everytime it boots up with the bios settings,carnt shift the problem,it might be because I cant get it in slot one on the pci due to processor in the way,blummin pcs ,always a problem ;)

Lock down the IRQ in CMOS to avoid the conflict. You should also disable the SCSI BIOS for the standard controller if you're booting to the NetRAID card. (Yes, you can still use the SCSI controller, disabling the BIOS only prevents it from attempting to boot to it).

thanks for this reply,but I am not fully with you,but only because I aint fully with it(yet)
you can still use the SCSI controller, disabling the BIOS only prevents it from attempting to boot to it?
am I disabling the bios on the netraid card?or on something on the bios settings on the ibm netfinity 3000 that I have?
Lock down the IRQ in CMOS to avoid the conflict. all the irq,s are set to auto I think on my motherboard bios,how do I lock down the irqs?
I have played around with other bios setups in other pcs but the one in the ibm netfinity doesnt seem to allow me to change boot up options,ie which items first ide scsi isa and so on.does the lower irq number boot up first?thanks :)

The Netfinity 3000 ships with a SCSI controller. If you're booting to the NetRAID card, the BIOS for the standard SCSI controller should not load. You can disable it via Ctrl+A when you see the prompt. To lock down the IRQ, highlight the setting (auto) for the NetRAID card (or Slot - I can't remember offhand) and press "Enter" You should see your options. Select something normally unused (like 5 - secondary printer port), then save and exit. You're right, Netfinitys don't let you change the boot order, so you either have to move the card to a Slot that is scanned before the SCSI controller, or disable the SCSI BIOS (or both - my preferred methodology). Locking down the IRQ will avoid conflicts with everything else set to "Auto", trying to share an IRQ - I don't like my I/O device losing in a "shared" environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back