Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM MiniPCI wireless kiled by updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandHooHa

Technical User
Feb 17, 2002
US
I have an IBM ThinkPad A31 laptop here, with built in wireless via an IBM High Rate Wireless MiniPCI. I recently installed Windows XP on it (was using 2000), and put SP2 on, and the wireless was working fine with the drivers I got from IBM's website. I installed some very minor automatic updates (i.e., not any huge service packs or anything), and when once I rebooted, I couldn't connect to my wireless network.

The device status (from the Device Manager) says that the device is working properly. However, if I look on the 'Status' tab for the device, it says 'Unable to communicate with device driver' for the state of the device. I have uninstalled-reinstalled the device and checked for any special drivers, but as far as I can tell, everything should be working. I installed about 16 updates all at once, so I can't really say what update did it, and they are not listed under Add/Remove programs, so I can't easily uninstall them.

Any ideas for me to try here, other than using this thing as a paperweight?

Thanks in advance..

System specs:
P4M 1.6ghz
256mb ram
Win XP SP2
IBM High Rate Wireless LAN MiniPCI card

TheGrandHooHa,

Have you tried to roll back the device driver in Device Manager?

Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back